Writer's Note: This is something I wrote almost five years ago when my son, Rafa, was still not born. It was published in my old blog and I'm happy to re-share it here.
I just watched the 2010 movie “Clash of the Titans” last night, and there was one line by the film’s main protagonist, Perseus, that resonated in my mind.
“I’ve got everything I need right here.”
His father, Zeus, the leader of the Olympian gods, was asking if he’ll reconsider his offer to take his place as one of them – as a god – in Olympus. But Perseus’ surprisingly meek and pleasant reply was, “I’ve got everything I need right here.”
I put myself in Perseus’ shoes for a moment and wondered what would make me happy and content right here and right now. That moment when I can say “I’ve got everything I need right here.”
This is what I came up with:
- Jeans – nice and comfortable. I don’t need to be stiff and cold while wearing them.
- T-Shirt – just plain white, black, or grey. Without prints or brands. My favorite are v-necks. I can comfortably be myself when I’m wearing them.
- Water – my favorite beverage. I also drink coffee, tea, or fruit juices, but nothing compares with plain water. Delicious.
- Banana – or any fruit for that matter. But my favorite is banana.
- Books – the best thing that entertains me. I usually have one or a couple in hand. I forget about time when I’m reading.
- Pen and a small Notebook – for spontaneous writings of my thoughts, insights, and ideas about what I read and about a lot of things.
- Walking – next to reading, the best thing that entertains me is walking. Especially with my wife. We talk about everything, and we savor the immense beauty of nature. Now, that’s living!
- My wife, Denielle – she’s my confidence, my partner, my sister, and my friend. She’s the wind beneath my wings; the gust behind my sails. I love her forever.
- My daughter, Ryah – being with her has always given meaning to my life that I had no right to expect. That no one can ever take from me. I love her so much, more than anything in this world.
These are all I need: jeans & t-shirt, water & banana, a book and a notebook, a walk with my wife and daughter in nature. I don’t want to have everything, because I’ve got everything I need… right here.